Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Hypocrisy of Man

Hola, readership!

Today, I'm going to touch on something that might, quite possibly, offend someone. It might cause someone to get all huffy and puffy and go about blowing little pig's houses down. But maybe, just maybe, it'll get one person thinking.

And that's the person I'm writing for.

You see, I've been researching for a while on World War II for an essay contest. I mean, yeah, we've all read about it in history books and such, and we've all seen movies, but this was the first time I'd really read up on the full details.

Quite honestly, it's making me lose my faith in mankind.

Not because of the Nazis, mind you. Yeah, okay, they're probably contributing a bit. But what's really getting to me is how we in America go around, saying things like "Blah blah blah, Damn Nazis!" or "Blah blah blah, Damn Hitler!", when the truth is, we're a bunch of freakin' hypocrites. All of us.

I'm not saying we contributed, but what I'm saying is, we knew damn well what was going on, and yet we did nothing - NOTHING - to stop it. Not at first. Not until we were threatened by it.

Don't believe me? Look at the facts.

Evian, France, 1938 - The League of Nations convene with delegates from 32 countries to consider helping Jewish people to flee Hitler. No country wants to take them in.

May, 1939 - The St. Louis, a ship full of fleeing Jewish people, arrives at the U.S. and Cuba, begging for entry. We refuse, and the people are forced to turn back to Europe.

December 7, 1941 - The U.S. finally gets involved....the day after we're bombed by Japan. And we STILL don't do ANYTHING about the situation in Germany, though we KNOW what's going on....we declare war on Japan. Japan. Egads.

December 11 - Hitler declares war on us. Yes, that's right. They don't tell us about that, now do they? HE declared war on US first. Roosevelt had to BEG Congress to declare war on Germany.

This war didn't end until 1945, people. By that time, by the end of the war, 3,000,000 Polish Jews had died. That's right - that's only a number from one country.

There were 17 countries involved.

Sorry if I'm sounding...I don't know. Bitter? Sad? I just...I don't understand how we can sit up on a high horse about WWII, acting like we're heroes or whatnot, when the truth is, we sat back and watched while people died. The only deaths we cared about were our own people's deaths. Yeah, okay, we concentrated 90% of our military ventures on Hitler after Pearl Harbor.

But think about this: how many lives would've been saved if we'd had the balls to do something before we absolutely had to?

*sigh* I'm going to end this rant before I'm arrested for treason or something. Just...remember this. Remember that we're not this perfect country that people make us out to be. We never were.

We're just...America.

Whatever that means.

Until next time,
-Writer Girl <3

No comments:

Post a Comment